Ah Mao Cat Cafe (The Cat Store) at Causeway Bay – 阿貓地攤
English Address (Google Map): Po Ming Building, Level 3, 2-6 Foo Ming Street Causeway Bay
Chinese Address: 香港銅鑼灣富明街2-6號寶明大廈3樓D-E室
Opening hours: Mon – Thu: 12pm – 11 pm, Fri & Sat: 12pm – 12am, Sun: 12pm – 10pm
Ah Meow Cat Cafe has been in operation for 14 years in Hong Kong. It’s a pet cafe where cats roam freely so don’t be surprise if you felt something brushing your legs during a meal.
Unlike some pet cafe, they are just like a normal cafe and they don’t charge a cover charge or minimum spending. But there are some house rules to follow for the well being of the cats. For example, if there are cats in the cage, it means that they are sick and do not disturb them and let the cats have their meal without disruption.
There are about ten cats at Ah Meow Cafe and all of them just laze around at all corners of the cafe. Some regular customers will bring their own cat treat for them and that is the very rare moment when cats will show great interest in you.
As a cat owner myself, i know that cats actually can have a very different character from another so do not expect different cats to show the same affection. There are many different species of cats here and probably everyone will have their favourite cat after a visit. And this is my favourite:
I had been following them on their Facebook and they really dote and care for their cats, and not just a money earning tool. Ah Meow Cafe recently had “retired” a cat from their cafe and to live at home after 12 years of “service” and held a small farewell party for their cat name 蘇蘇 (So So).
Their facebook page also provides a channel for cat adoption, donation drive for cats and a place to post notice for lost cats. They have so far found homes for more than 5000 cats for the past fourteen years.
Note that Ah Meow Cafe is a member only cafe, but fret not as the membership is free. They may not have the most exciting or elaborated interior, but it’s very homely, and it’s almost like visiting a friend’s house.
Upon entering the main door, there is merchandise area that sells everything related to cats, and a handicraft corner with merchandise that are handmade by their people.
The counter is filled with cat-shape cakes and cookies that are too pretty to put in your mouth. Most of the time I just order a drink and a dessert to chill out after a meal.
I haven’t try the main course before but they have some pretty decent and interesting looking desserts at a reasonable price. Here is their dessert menu:
For cat or animal lovers, I’m pretty sure that you will like this cafe. To be honest, i like this cafe not for the food but rather on the “company” and experience.
Diners are not restricted to only your table and basically everyone is moving around to play with the cats. The service staff here is very friendly if they are not too caught up, they are always ready to have a chat with you and introducing the cats to you.
Unlike many Hong Kong cafes, there is no pressure for you to promptly foot the bill once you are done with your meal. Feel free to stay for a reasonable period of time before once again setting off for your crazy shopping regime.
Map and Directions
1. To reach Ah Meow Cat Cafe, exit from Exit C of Causeway Bay MTR Station and walk along Percival Street (along traffic).
2. Walk straight and keep a lookout on your left until you see Foo Ming Street.
3. Walk straight and cross Foo Ming street and that is the Po Ming Building where Ah Meow Cat Cafe is.
4. I need to highlight that Ah Meow Cat Cafe is not easy to find because it’s situated at level 2 of the building.
5. Like many Hong Kong buildings, you will see a table with a security guard and you will see the lift lobby after going further in. It does not appears right initially as it looks like an old office building, until you see a row of letter boxes and one of them is indicating 阿貓地攤 (Ah Meow Cat Cafe).
6. Take a super old school lift to level 2 and once you come out from the lift, you should be able to see Ah Meow Cat Cafe.